If you just want to get Netflix working on a Vero 4K+
- First download this repository zip.
- Open Kodi, go to menu Add-ons, select "Install from zip file", and select the downloaded zip.
- Go to "Install from repository", select CastagnaIT repository and Netflix addon.
- At this point everything should work but when you try and open Netflix you will get this helpful error message "Netflix error". To fix this you'll need to know the IP address of your Vero 4K and how to use a terminal.
- SSH into the Vero (the default username and password are osmc).
ssh [email protected]<ip address of your vero>
- Install pip (Python package manager), wheel, build-essential, python-setuptools and pycryptodomex.
sudo apt install python-pip pip install wheel sudo apt-get install build-essential sudo apt-get install -y python-setuptools sudo pip install pycryptodomex reboot
- Now when you start Netflix it should work as expected, this also works for the HBO Go EU plugin.
If you care how I found that out
I recently bought myself a Vero 4K+ a little, fanless PC but it's designed and manufactured by the creators of OSMC (Open Source Media Centre) which comes pre-installed and includes Kodi running on top of Debian Linux.
I'd been holding fire on pushing the buy button because Kodi didn't support Widevine DRM which meant no streaming services like Netflix or HBO Go would work. But with the release of Kodi 18 at the end of January Widevine support is now included with Kodi so I pressed the button, entered my credit card details and a few days later I was the happy owner of one of these :)
So now I needed to get Netflix installed, simple I thought I'll just google 'Kodi Netflix'. Feel free to go off and do the same but if you want to save yourself some time I can tell you that there are a lot of very spammy unhelpful pages out there. The Kodi and OSMC forums got me on the right track though and I found that the current best Netflix addon is available from this GitHub repository. From there you can follow the installation guide to download a repository zip file and install the addon. Unfortunately when I fired up Netflix I got a rather unhelpful "Netflix error" message and not all the streaming goodness I was expecting. After combing the logs I worked out the error was being caused by a missing
pycryptodomex installation but attempting to install
pycryptodomex was failing due to a lack of both
build-essential. Once I had all of those installed and I rebooted I could finally stream to my heart's content.